Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I'm going to bring it down a little....something deeper....

Kind of an odd thing happened today. I got an email from Linked In advising I connect with someone I may know. Well, that someone was my dear friend who passed away last year. Imagine the mixed feelings upon seeing this invitation. Evidently, he had an account with them at one time, and I can't imagine removing him from these sites was a priority for his family. I think of this friend every day. Not a day goes by that I don't think of something that would amuse him - today was no different - on the way to work, I was thinking of a joke and wondering who else would really get it and he came to mind. I got to work, and then I got the email. Funny, how the Internet plays a part in reminding us that we'll never be forgotten.

I wondered, does this feeling of missing someone ever go away? My answer was no, and I wouldn't want it to, because as long as I still think of my friend, he'll always be with me. 

I have another friend who passed away last year, who Facebook frequently beckons me to "reconnect" with, and I usually laugh a little when I see it and think "if only".

Have you had this experience yet, of seeing someone who is no longer with us, on the Internet?

2 comments:

  1. Wow . . . I can't imagine that was easy to see (advising you to connect with someone who has passed.) I can't even find the words to describe the feelings I have just in reading this. I haven't had this experience (yet) - but I did find myself thinking about my wedding reception the other day - and how many people have passed since that night. And if I had the night to do over, I would sit with each of them a little longer. Thanks for sharing this post with us. And keep the faith - I believe that moments like the one you've described might be your friend letting you know he's still "there" . . . somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very odd, indeed. Probably a phenomenon that will increase as the years go by. Technology has introduced another way to remember friends and loved ones.

    ReplyDelete