Thursday, March 18, 2010

So, That's Why! .... for Dummies

Hi friends - a few random thoughts to share.

I had always wondered just how many "For Dummies" books have been published. Sometimes, I'd be in a bookstore, which is the equivalent of my "bar" hangout, and wonder if there was a whole section of the popular For Dummies series, rather than having them interspersed on the shelves with all the other books.

 So, today, when I got an email from Borders, advertising 30% of this series, I got the chance to see just what was out there. Some of the titles were surprising, some made me just laugh, and others made me almost want to buy some of them (but I'm on a self-imposed book spending freeze).

Here's what I found. There are currently 1,832 titles listed. Many of them have to do with computers. It's also only fair to note that I do own several Dummies books; I think they are a great overview and typically well written. Ana and I wouldn't have made it through 7th grade Geometry with out one! (I also have Philosophy, Buddhism, and Psychology for Dummies).

Here's what else you can get:
Anger Management for Dummies
Saints for Dummies
Dating for Dummies
Relationships for Dummies
Rugby for Dummies
Extreme Sudoku for Dummies (I want to know, if you make it to a level of Sudoku where you are ready for "extreme", shouldn't you graduate from the "For Dummies" series?
Curling for Dummies (this would have been good to have during the Olympics)
Freemasons for Dummies (do they support dummies? Can you see them out with picket signs that say "Freemasons for Dummies"? No?)
Computers for Seniors for Dummies (I couldn't find just a  regular"Computers for Dummies", so, if you need help, you have to use the seniors version)

This group just makes me chuckle. I think I might be a eight year-old boy. Are they for actual dummies?
Creating Websites for Dummies (are the dummies going to use the websites?)
Fishing for Dummies (catching dummies?)
Potty Training for Dummies (it's about time those dummies learn to use the potty?)
Housetraining for Dummies (if the potty training doesn't work)
Trading for Dummies (what do you have to trade to get a dummy?)
Happiness for Dummies (well, that's a good thing)
Stretching for Dummies (because they need a book for this)
Choosing a Dog for Dummies (what kind of dogs do dummies prefer?)
Online Education for Dummies (they should probably read Using Computers for Dummies)

These are really specific....
Australian and New Zealand Wine for Dummies
California Wine for Dummies
Whisky and Spirits for Dummies
and you can get Vino para Dummies, too.

These sound fun...
Running a Bed and Breakfast for Dummies
Antiquing for Dummies
Bartending for Dummies

And my favorite of all......

Raising Chickens for Dummies

That's all for now. What "For Dummies" book do you have?

(I'm totally not being compensated for advertising the books, or anything. Just another thing that tickles my funny bone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment